Water FAQ's

Contact Us
  • Monday - Friday / 7:00 A.M. - 3:30 P.M.
  • 6 Soldier Creek Rd.Sheridan, WY 82801
  • P: (307) 674-8532F: (307) 672-5241
  • Tom Manolis, Water Supply &Treatment Superintendent[email protected]

Why Does Our Water Sometimes Smell Like Chlorine?

We have to maintain a trace of chlorine throughout our system for treatment purposes, so some places may have higher concentrations than others. Please refer to the annual consumer confidence reports for additional information. They can be found linked below or on the Water Treatment & Supply page on this website.

Why Do Operators Come To My Door And Request To Take A Sample From My Tap?

Drinking Water Regulations require operators to monitor the quality of the water at random locations throughout the system. Your cooperation with operators help us meet the requirements of the Safe Drinking Water Act. Your cooperation is appreciated. To increase your comfort level with allowing operators to enter your home or place of business, feel free to ask for City identification.

Why Is Water Conservation Important?

Water conservation is important during drought years for obvious reasons - to maximize the availability of our precious water resources. It is also important for Sheridan area users in non-drought years for a different reason. As part of the Twin Lakes expansion project, the Army Corps of Engineers is requiring the Sheridan Area to reduce daily water use by 12% per account by the year 2020. Each year the City reviews the water conservation activities and reports the water use to the Corps. Additionally, we project our ability to meet the conservation requirement.

Can I Get Additional Information On Our Water?
Yes. Each year we distribute a Consumer Confidence Report (CCR) with your City utility bill. The 2022 CCR for the City of Sheridan and Downer can also be located here on this website and are updated annually.
Where Can I Get A List Of Primary And Secondary Water Standards?

The list of Drinking Water Contaminants & MCL's is available on the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency site.

Can You Turn Our Water Back On?
Please contact Customer Service at (307) 674-6483 for any questions related to having your water turned back on. If the cause for your water being turned off is delinquent payments, the payment must be made prior to a turn-on being scheduled. Customer Service will work with our Utility Maintenance Operators to have your water turned back on. Please note: an adult must be present for the water to be turned on, so please plan accordingly.
Where Does Water Go From The Treatment Plants?
The water flows to pipes serving Big Goose Valley, the City and Little Goose Valley
Can We Schedule A Tour For Our Science Class?
Contact Sheridan Water Treatment Plant at (307) 674-8532 and we will see what can be done to accommodate your request.
Can I Use Big Goose Water Treatment Plant for Hunting Access To State Land?
No. For security reasons, access is not allowed.